Sunday, August 2, 2009

Responsibility

We are all responsible. But what are we responsible for and to whom are we responsible? But then there are so many kinds of responsibility: to ourselves, to each other, to our society, our environment...and other things.

I believed or believe, I am not sure yet, that I am responsible for structuring my own experience. I have found this a challenge, and perhaps one I am unable to meet. There are so many forms of structure that culture imposes on us or that we allow to outline our experiences. I am sure many of these are unconscious or almost all for some people. I, however, am all too aware of them. The manner which we teach our children to follow these same rules fascinates me.

I wanted to just get this out on paper...or screen, but now I need to get ready to go see a performance and I have imposed the rule of punctuality on myself and must comply.

1 comment:

  1. your post has got me thinking about 'boundaries'. when one establishes her various responsibilities the next step is to set boundaries for how far these responsibilities affect other parts of life--other responsibilities.

    i, too, am working on structuring my own experience, specfically when faced with a stressful situation so that i don't get stressed! because stress is a form of pain and who wants that? not me girlfriend!

    xo

    ReplyDelete