Sunday, February 14, 2010

Anodyne Butter

I have been been having a love affair with butter for a few weeks...we had always been good friends, but I took it to the next level when I dropped a bit of butter into my salad accidentally but left it on the leaf as I raised the forkful to my mouth.

Then I put butter on my salad on purpose. It was delicious, miraculous and just so creamy. This was no ordinary butter, no ordinary salad and no ordinary place. I was at Anodyne, my favorite coffee shop, eating a pear salad with raspberry vinaigrette with a baguette with butter. The butter was whipped into a snowball and there was plenty of it...

When I couldn't use it all on my baguette and salad, I had to order another side of bread because that butter was unfit for the trash. My order of bread came with another fluffy ball of butter. Even so, I was so enamored with this butter that I knew I could manage to eat it all if I put on more butter than there was bread. That butter and my tongue could not get enough of each other...and I could not feel guilty for eating it all.

Yesterday I made myself a classic breakfast of bacon, eggs, toast and coffee. I reveled in the careful preparation of each one so it would be just to my liking and preference. Bacon has to be made first without question, so I could use some of the grease for the eggs. I poured off most of the grease when the bacon was just perfectly crisp...and before I could add the eggs, I had to add a little butter because cooking eggs in butter is just how things have to be. Butter and I have become best buds.

Now today , I am back at Anodyne and I cannot stop thinking about butter...I ordered soup and crackers, but I long for some butter. Why am I resisting? The counter is there, and the butter awaits...this butter is truly anodyne itself.

I just ordered some butter and a baguette on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment