Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I built a shelf

Today I realized I left the power cord for my computer back in Madison (and that was only because I was visiting my aunt in the hospital and had to unplug it to show her things before I dashed off to pick up Claire from the bus...visiting home was no vacation that's for sure!). I had a lot I wanted to use the computer for today as I was busy for three days, but I then remembered how many things I had wanted to do without the computer! The most exciting of all those things was building my shelf.

I love having my books displayed in the place I am living and my books have lived in boxes since June. It took me a long time to get them all displayed in Madison, and I had to take over some common space shelves when I finally did. When I moved to Minneapolis, there was no room for a shelf and no shelf to take over in the common area, so I asked my books to be patient. I moved again and had plenty of space, but no shelf. But what other furniture was I going to need and where would I put the shelf?

I waited a few weeks to see if I could find a shelf I liked for free or for a bargain...but everyone loves shelves. I complained to my dad about the lack of a shelf, but I should have been prepared for his answer: "You should build one!" "But it won't look nice." I let my dad go on and on about the wonderful perks of a do-it-yourself shelf, but I was waiting to see if I found one for free. I didn't, but I did find some free cedar boards from an old deck that would be long enough and the right amount. A bunch of 2x6 boards that looked nice. So I guess I had to do it!

I got some tools (some from my dad just this very weekend) and today I got to plan it and build it. I wanted it to be 73 in tall with 5 shelves about 30 in long. So I figure 2 shelves at 14 in high and 3 at 12 in high would be perfect. I had nails and a 8 ft 1x2 to use for supports...but my plan did not go as planned.

First, I sawed, and sawed, and got blisters, and got gloves and then sawed again. The nails would not stay in their holes and so I put in more and then reinforced the joints of top/bottom and sides. I forgot to nail one part and it deceived me till I put books on it. I love it...even if it is a little too crooked, but not crooked enough to be artsy. I love it even though I am going to be sore tomorrow. My books are free! Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment